Pages

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Last Saints

I want to start by linking this: The Last of Us Gameplay Demo
After watching this, I was elated for still being a PS3 owner. If there is any company that makes worth having a PS3, it's Naughty Dog. Mind you, this is the company that worked on the Crash Bandicoot games, titles that were a major part of growing up as a gamer; fun games. Naughty Dog then went on to make one of the best Action/Adventure series in video game history, Uncharted. So, when I get linked to a over seven minute game play demo for their newest title, I watch. It looks a bit like Man Hunt, but if Man Hunt had substance and grit, not just hyper-violence (though I do enjoy that about Rockstar). And while it's too early to say, I am leaning towards getting the game, a serious, dark, and unforgiving story can really leave an impact... Especially a shotgun to a dude's face.

On the other side of the story telling coin, and another tie into Rockstar, we have Saint's Row: The Third. This game reminds me of GTA3 and Vice City on so many levels, but obviously more up to date and with more features. The over-the-top, outlandish gameplay and story line had me smiling for beginning to end, minus that one time I got a hummer stuck on a roadblock and couldn't exit the vehicle due to the mission t fix it. Stories that do not take themselves seriously can turn out to be these gems if executed properly. There was really never a dull moment playing SR3, be it running around a wrestling arena massacring luchadores with a chainsaw, all to the tune of "You're the Best" by Joe Esposito, or helping mayor Burt Reynolds deal with a zombie break out. After diving into Diablo III Inferno, I needed the break...this game is perfect for anyone looking to let off steam.

I have not even started Round 5, but I will rack my brain for ideas, though I think I have one. The results are here with a labyrinth being the tie breaker. I am not sure how literal I will go with a labyrinth, but I find just having a character make left turns all day is more suited for a racing setting. I will probably end up sticking with complex rooms with puzzles and challenges. I could just copy this, but I won't.

1 comment:

  1. I've got a few friends who've burnt out from Diablo III's inferno mode. I'm happy I stopped at Normal mode, to be honest.

    ReplyDelete