Pages

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Choose Your Own Adventure

I remember growing up reading Goosebumps, which in retrospect were not even remotely frightening, but I had to start off with horror somewhere. The series was pretty tame in comparison with a lot of media today and yet still got flak back when it came out. The thing I remember the most about the series was the choose your own adventure books, more specifically the carnival one; I always ended up dying a lot. Turn to page 25 or page 182. Page 25: You're teeth are knocked out by a homeless man with a sock filled with pennies. The ambulance runs you over upon arrival and you die. Page 182: You meet the love of your life. She's a serial killer. You are beaten to death with a pound of frozen chicken. She buries you in children's park sandbox.

This got me thinking about an idea to keep me productive, bring in more readers, and sharpen my fine talent. I also have to thank a friend of mine who had already applied a similar concept on a forum. I am going to make a twist on this. Instead of having the reader choose the story as I write and decide from a few options what happens next, I will have the readers vote on a premise. The premise will be based on certain things such as genre, protagonist occupation, setting, and more when I think of them. These parameters will have a number of selections, selections that will be random each time.

More to come when I figure out a method to my madness.

No comments:

Post a Comment